Friday 3 October 2014

Don't try to covert original Nokia MicroUSB cable to OTG

I recently searched around for a cheaper option to the pocket burning MicroUSB OTG cables available on the market. I ended up on YouTube searching how to solder one myself. I found the tutorial which asked to short the pins 4 and 5 on the uUSB module for OTG recognition on devices.

I started the process. The only mistake? I chose an old 2010 Nokia MicroUSB cable that came with my old Nokia phone to operate on. I cut open the sheath to find a steel encasing, opened it to find yet another casted rubber case and when I cut open that there was no circuit inside for me to be able to jump that pin 4 and 5 connection! 

Just ended up wasting a good MicroUSB cable. So to all my fellow geeks out there...please don't waste your Nokia cable for OTG making. :) 

Also don't try to rip up a Samsung cable either! Its MicroUSB module doesn't have the pin 4 at all! Check out the inside from the front. There is no metal connector in slot 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment